1974 Ducati 750 Sport for Sale
Some bikes just look right, capture the essence of motorcycling: two wheels, a motor, a seat, and a place to put fuel. Some motorcycles are timeless, and the Ducati 750 Sport captures everything that made the marque famous: the sleek looks, the sound, the rugged simplicity and engineering excellence.
The Sport was basically a hot-rodded 750GT and the early bikes even used that frame, although the motor was fitted with a lighter crankshaft, higher-compression pistons, and larger carburetors. Although the technology has become synonymous with Ducati, the fully-faired SS was originally the only twin to sport the signature Desmodromic heads. Other Ducatis, including the Sport, ran conventional valve-springs, although they all used a tower shaft and gears to operate the overhead cams instead of belts or a chain.
Visually, the Sport also had a longer, narrower fuel tank [fiberglass on some early examples], a bum-stop seat, clip-ons, and rearsets. Brakes varied from year-to-year and even bike-to-bike, in typical 60’s and 70’s Italian bike fashion: Lockheed, Scarab, and Brembo were all used.
This one at least looks legitimate and is claimed to be very original. See the listing on eBay for a very comprehensive selection of notes and high-quality images:
- The only replacement items are the licence plate bracket and the fuel lines.
- The Engine still has the original lead seal with the Ducati Logo as it left the factory
- Original Ducati Coils and KLG plug boots
- Original Alpina painted spokes with correct “A” stampings on both wheels
- Original Aprilia Horn Switch
- Original Aprilia Fuse box and wiring harness
- All bolts appear original and I would say 95% of them have not been turned by a wrench since leaving the factory.
- Original Marzocchi shocks
- Original Cable splitters, cable connectors, brass valve caps for the tires. (tires are new, vintage Dunlop K81 TT100). The details are incredible and well preserved.
- Original Orlandi petcocks
- Original Conti Silencers
- Original Conti Clamps
Not much time left on this one, and bidding is pretty active: north of $42,000 and the reserve has not been met. If you’ve a spare organ to sell, now’s the time.